Foster Care Budget Request: Send an Email to Legislators NowLeave a Comment
The legislative session is winding down and right now budget negotiators (legislators who serve on Senate Finance and House Appropriations) are meeting to determine items in the final budget that will be presented to the Governor.
Send an Email
We need your help letting key budget conferees know we need them to support several foster care proposals. Please copy and personalize the letter below and send to:
- Luke E. Torian (D-Prince William) – DelLTorian@house.virginia.gov
- Mark D. Sickles (D-Arlington) – DelMSickles@house.virginia.gov
- Betsy B. Carr (D-Richmond) – DelBCarr@house.virginia.gov
- M. Kirkland Cox (R-Colonial Heights) – DelKCox@house.virginia.gov
- Janet D. Howell (D-District 32) – email@example.com
- Emmett W. Hanger, Jr. (R-District 24) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- George L. Barker (D-District 39) – email@example.com
- R. Creigh Deeds (D-District 25) – firstname.lastname@example.org
Sample Letter (Cut & Paste)
I am writing to you to request your support for the following items that will support children and families in Virginia’s foster care system. As you work to make decisions that impact the lives of Virginia’s we ask that you consider children in foster care as one of your top priorities.
Please support creating a state funded kinship guardianship assistance program through authorizing budget language and reconciling the $400,000 included in the Senate budget to support kinship navigator programs.
Please support the Senate approved budget amendment of $250,000 to create a program within the Department of Social Services to help youth in care obtain drivers license, the House did not include this funding.
Please support the House approved budget that includes the creation of the Office of the Children’s Ombudsman.
Thank you for considering these items. Investments into Virginia’s foster care system will offer youth in the child welfare system the opportunity to build permanent family connections and the supports needed to successfully transition to productive adulthood.
If you have any questions, please reach out to Allison at email@example.com. We would love to know if you send an email! Please forward us your message so we know it was sent.