Virginia’s Youth in Action
An Advocacy Council By Voices
Voices for Virginia’s Children is establishing a cohort of young changemakers for our new advocacy council, Virginia’s Youth in Action (VAYA). This youth development program will enhance young people’s ability to engage with legislators and decision-makers to advance their communities through advocacy, storytelling, and community engagement. This cohort will learn how to share their stories and experiences with others and provide feedback on policies that affect them. The purpose of the cohort is to create a space for youth to have a voice at the table and establish meaningful change and influence in the systems that have impacted their lives.
VAYA participants will be compensated $2000 and receive monthly training through May 2023. Additionally this program will provide:
- Networking and development opportunities
- Professional connections and mentorship
- Training and experience in state-level advocacy
- Personal reflection and growth opportunities
- Overnight stay in Richmond (for non-Richmond area residents) for Advocacy Day (January 16-17, 2023)
The advocacy day event on January 17, 2023 will include a day of legislative visits and activities with state level delegates and senators.
The majority of our trainings will be virtual through Zoom. Participants must be available to participate in the following:
- Saturday, October 22, 2022, 10am – 11:30am (virtual)
- Saturday, November 19, 2022 10am – 11:30am (virtual)
- Saturday, December 17, 2022, 10am – 11:30am (virtual)
- Monday, January 16, 2023, times TBA (in-person)
- Advocacy Day! Tuesday, January 17, 2023, day-long event (in-person)
- Additional convening, trainings, and individual/group work as needed (up to, but not exceeding 5 hours a month)
- Continued monthly convenings until May 2023, details TBA
Please note this opportunity is only open to Virginia residents between the ages of 15-25.
Deadline to apply is 11:59pm on October 9, 2022.