Along with our partners at the Virginia Association of Community Services Boards and the Arc of Virginia, we are asking families who have participated in Early Intervention/Part C services, and supporters of Part C services to engage in a Day of Action on January 28th. Read on for more details about how you can participate.
Message: Since 2007 the number of infants and toddlers needing Early Intervention services through IDEA Part C has increased 52%. Early Intervention helps infants and toddlers with developmental delays catch up with their peers before school begins. While the number of families seeking services has increased, the funding has not and Virginia is now facing a $8.5 million shortfall. Thankfully the Governor has proposed an additional $3 million to help meet the increase, but in order for all of the 15,000+ families to receive services the budget must include an additional $5.5 million. Please act to fund the $8.5 million shortfall in Early Intervention services.
1. If you are a family who has received Early Intervention services at any time, a “graduate” of early intervention yourself, or an advocate and supporter of Early Intervention, please take a few minutes to email your legislator and the members of the House Appropriations and Senate Finance committees to ask them to support Early Intervention.
2. To personalize your request, take a photo of your family, or yourself, like the one above. Make a sign including the request “Fund the $8.5 million shortfall in Early Intervention…” and your reason: “so that I start school ready to learn” “to give parents hope and confidence” “so that babies are not waiting to get services”, etc. You can take a photo on your cameraphone and even send your message that way.
3. Email your photo to the following members of the House Appropriations and Senate Finance Committees so that they get the message that families need Early Intervention Services. Please send an email between January 25th and January 28th.
4. Cut and paste the addresses or send the photo from your camera phone. Please include in your note your name and where you live. If you want to include more detail, copy and paste the message above or use your own. You can also find out who your legislator is and send a message to them as well.
5. PLEASE SEND YOUR MESSAGE BY JANUARY 28th! After you’ve sent your message, share your photo on Facebook, twitter, Instagram or however you communicate. You can share with others about why you are supporting Early Intervention by sharing this post too!
|House Appropriations Members||Email Address|
|Del. Riley Ingram||DelRIngram@house.virginia.gov|
|Del. Steve Landes||DelSLandes@house.virginia.gov|
|Del. Chris Jones||DelCJones@house.virginia.gov|
|Del. John O’Bannon||DelJOBannon@house.virginia.gov|
|Del. Chris Peace||DelCPeace@house.virginia.gov|
|Del. Bob Brink||DelRBrink@house.virginia.gov|
|Del. Onzlee Ware||DelOWare@house.virginia.gov|
|Del. Rosalyn Dance||DelRDance@house.virginia.gov|
Senate Finance Members
|Sen. Emmett Hangerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Sen. Janet Howellemail@example.com|
|Sen. John Watkinsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Sen. Henry Marshemail@example.com|
|Sen. Ryan McDouglefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Sen. Jill Holtzman Vogelemail@example.com|
If you have questions please contact Emily at firstname.lastname@example.org or (804) 649-0184.
For more background on advocacy and the Virginia General Assembly visit our Advocacy Tools.
Read More Blog Posts